Hola, hola, hola, welcome back to the One Small Bite Podcast! David is excited to bring back today his special guest Latinx expert and registered dietitian nutritionist Carolina Guízar for Part 2 of this 3 Part Series. If you haven’t yet listened to Part 1, please take a moment and listen in because it helps put into context today’s episode, and contains Carolina’s bio and background.
In this 3 Part Series we discuss the weight-centered biases in our healthcare system specifically within the Latinx community. Carolina and therapist Melissa Carmon, who will be on in Part 3, explain to us how diet culture oppresses and exploits Latinx folks in a variety of subtle and not so subtle ways. They explain how diet culture perpetuates weight stigmatization that only escalates racism, sizeism, ageism, healthism, capitalism, and patriarchy, which negatively impacts the Latinx communities and has a trickle down effect the society as a whole!
Listen in to this episode today because Carolina and David hone in on the various complexities of the Latinx culture around food, healthcare, and food insecurity and safety. They will discuss how health professionals can be a part of the solution and not the problem if they adopt a more weight-inclusive, Health at Every Size, and Intuitive Eating approach.
Today’s topics include…
- Narrow definitions of health in the Latinx community
- Food as medicine in the Latinx community
- Fear and distrust of medications and conventional medical treatments
- Harming – mental health, social support, and financial stability
- Food insecurity, safety, and access to adequate care in the Latinx community
- Intuitive Eating and non-diet approach in Latinx community
We are looking forward to having be part of this 3 Part Series with Carolina and Melissa. Can’t wait to have you join us and listen to all of this great information and perspectives.
These two episode were just amazing as Carolina exposes the vast challenges we all face in this diet culture society. However, we also discover that there is a different way to break free of the shackles of diet culture through self-compassion, weight-inclusive, and Intuitive Eating approaches. Carolina and Melissa show us that it is just as much possible in the Latinx community as it is with people of color or marginalized groups if we share these ideas, live by them, and become them ourselves.
We would love to hear from you and let us know what you think of this 3 Part Series. Feel free to hit us up on our social channels Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or feel free to message us at our website.
If you like this episode, then download the show wherever you listen to podcasts Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google and hit that subscribe button so you won’t miss an episode. While you’re there, let us know what other nutrition or health related topic you’d like for us to cover. Oh, and one of the best ways to help and get this show out to more people is to rate, review, and then forward this show to a friend.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting our show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul!
- Part 2: How Chronic Dieting Exacerbates Eating Disorders in People with Type 2 Diabetes with Ashley Roehrig
- Part 1: How Chronic Dieting Exacerbates Eating Disorders in People with Type 2 Diabetes with Ashley Roehrig
- The 100th Episode: How I chopped my diet mentality!
- Part 3: The Secret of How Diet Culture Oppresses and Exploits the LatinX Community with Melissa Carmona
- Part 2: The Secret of How Diet Culture Oppresses and Exploits the LatinX Community with Carolina Guízar
- Part 1: The Secret of How Diet Culture Oppresses and Exploits the LatinX Community with Carolina Guízar
- How to Overcome Eating and Body Image Challenges with The Body Joyful Author Anne Poirier
- How Black Women and BIPoC are Further Marginalize by Diet Culture with Whitney Trotter
- How Storytelling Can Transform your Relationship with Your Body with Storyteller Kimberly Dark
- What Everyone Should Know About RED-S, Alcohol, Disordered Eating, and More with Val Schonberg