Welcome back to the One Small Bite Podcast! This is it! Part 3 and this time David is excited to welcome special guest Latinx expert and therapist Melissa Carmona.
Today we finish our discussions on the weight-centered biases in our healthcare system specifically within the Latinx community. And this time David welcomes Intuitive Eating and Health at Every Size focused and bilingual therapist Melissa Carmon who will pick up and further elaborate on the discussion from the previous two episodes on how diet culture perpetuates weight stigmatization and escalates racism, sizeism, ageism, healthism, capitalism, and patriarchy, which negatively impacts the Latinx communities!
Melissa Carmona is a bilingual Clinical Mental Health Counselor at Three Birds Counseling in Greensboro, North Carolina. She helps people heal from eating disorders, depression, anxiety, and trauma through a social justice and strength-based lens and other therapy modalities, including EMDR. Through the lens of Health at Every Size and Intuitive Eating, Melissa also helps clients understand the different aspects of their identities (gender, sexuality, race, religion, education, etc.) and how those influence food and body image.
Born in the United States to Colombian immigrants, Melissa spent 14 years in Colombia before returning to the United States. Her Latinx roots have shaped her career trajectory, and she brings this perspective into her work with immigrants and those trying to heal their relationship with food and their bodies.
Melissa has worked directly with doctors and psychiatrists to provide integrative care to patients. She has also worked with Latinx immigrants who struggle to adjust to this new country and political climate. Melissa is fluent in Spanish.
Today’s topics include…
We are looking forward to having be part of this 3 Part Series with Melissa. Can’t wait to have you join us and listen to all of this great information and perspectives.
These two guest have been just amazing they help us expose the vast challenges we all face in this diet culture society. However, we also discover that there is a different way to break free of the shackles of diet culture through self-compassion, weight-inclusive, and Intuitive Eating approaches. Carolina and Melissa show us that it is just as much possible in the Latinx community as it is with people of color or marginalized groups if we share these ideas, live by them, and become them ourselves.
We would love to hear from you and let us know what you think of this 3 Part Series. Feel free to hit us up on our social channels Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or feel free to message us at our website.
If you like this episode, then download the show wherever you listen to podcasts Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google and hit that subscribe button so you won’t miss an episode. While you’re there, let us know what other nutrition or health related topic you’d like for us to cover. Oh, and one of the best ways to help and get this show out to more people is to rate, review, and then forward this show to a friend.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting our show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul!
- Part 2: How Chronic Dieting Exacerbates Eating Disorders in People with Type 2 Diabetes with Ashley Roehrig
- Part 1: How Chronic Dieting Exacerbates Eating Disorders in People with Type 2 Diabetes with Ashley Roehrig
- The 100th Episode: How I chopped my diet mentality!
- Part 3: The Secret of How Diet Culture Oppresses and Exploits the LatinX Community with Melissa Carmona
- Part 2: The Secret of How Diet Culture Oppresses and Exploits the LatinX Community with Carolina Guízar
- Part 1: The Secret of How Diet Culture Oppresses and Exploits the LatinX Community with Carolina Guízar
- How to Overcome Eating and Body Image Challenges with The Body Joyful Author Anne Poirier
- How Black Women and BIPoC are Further Marginalize by Diet Culture with Whitney Trotter
- How Storytelling Can Transform your Relationship with Your Body with Storyteller Kimberly Dark
- What Everyone Should Know About RED-S, Alcohol, Disordered Eating, and More with Val Schonberg