On this Solo Episode, David explains some of the holes in weight loss research, shines a light on why the research doesn’t support weight loss as a cure for everything, and discusses the difference between weight centric and weight inclusive. He asks “If you are supposed to lose weight to live longer and stay healthy why isn’t it working?”.
In the beginning of this podcast David is transparent about his history with using a weight centric approach, working in a bariatric center, and his transition to and training in Intuitive Eating. This is important because most people don’t know that nearly all education for dietitians is fatphobic. It can be hard as a practitioner to be curious and challenge what you’ve been taught, then inevitably break away from the norm. Most intuitive eating dietitians have a similar story to David’s and it is important that IE dietitians continue to share their stories of growth.
As David talks about the holes in weight loss research he references John Robison’s article about the 8 red flags of weight loss research which focuses on a commonly references weight loss research study for diabetes and heart disease – the Look AHEAD Study. Many of these red flags can be used to assess bias in any weight loss research study. During this podcast David really puts a critical eye on how weight centered research is being conducted.
8 Red Flags of Weight Loss Research
- 1. Comparing participants to non-participants
- 2. Using different denominators when determining outcomes
- 3. Calling it “maintenance” when the program is still on going
- 4. Claiming your program is highly effective at helping achieve clinically meaningful weight loss when it really isn’t
- 5. Not distinguishing between the health impacts of weight loss and life style changes
- 6. Claiming “savings” when there isn’t enough evidence to prove it
- 7. Not considering the age of participants
- 8. Not being transparent about likely outcomes and potential negative consequences
Episode Links and Resources
Episode 81: Friday Food Cast – Does Intermittent Fasting Work?
Episode 76: Friday Food Cast – How Weight Loss Articles Send the Wrong Messages
Episode 002: Chop the Diet Mentality!
8 Red Flags
Jon Robison, PhD
Come and join our new One Small Bite Facebook community? Take part in the great conversation and become a member of a community that’s chopping diet culture, asking thought provoking questions about health at every size, and building positive relationships with food.
If you like this episode, then download the show wherever you listen to podcasts Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google and hit that subscribe button so you won’t miss an episode. While you’re there, let me know what nutrition or health topic you’d like me to cover or leave a review.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul!
- Episode 90: LatinX and Anti-Diet Approaches with Guest Dalina Soto
- Episode 89: Very Low Carbohydrate Diets and No Weight Loss? What’s Going On?
- Episode 88: 8 Red Flags of Weight Loss Research – Solo Episode
- Episode 87: Let’s Talk Cannabis – Everything You Need to Know with guest Donna Shields
- Episode 86: The Body Positive Fitness Center You Can’t Live Without with Guest Abbey Griffith
- Episode 85: Body Trust and How it Can Help You Break Free from Diet Culture with Guest Aaron Flores
- Special Episode 84: Friday Food Cast – COVID: A Year in Remembrance
- Episode 83: How Body Liberation Frees Us from Diet Culture with Guest Kent Thomas
- Episode 82: Is Dieting Causing You More Trauma? with Guest Patrick Bryant
- Episode 81: Friday Food Cast – Does Intermittent Fasting Work?