During David’s conversation with Donna Shields, Dietitian and co-founder of the Holistic Cannabis Academy, they cover everything you need to know about (you guested it) cannabis! Donna tells us her journey as a dietitian, once working for the US Army and culinary institute, as well as how her breast cancer diagnosis opened her eyes to the world of cannabis and the lack of cannabis education for practitioners. She talks about how this spurred the idea of the Holistic Cannabis Academy and how the audience has shifted an grown.
Donna and David do a deep dive into some of the topics from Episode 79 and more. Donna shares with us the different types of THC and CBD, explaining how they can act differently with the endocannabinoid system. Some of their other topics include regulation of marijuana and CBD, the impacts of health, the stigmatization of marijuana users, impacts of the industrialization of cannabis cultivation, what to do if your just entering the world of cannabis, and things to look out for when purchasing.
If the endocannabinoid system and the Holistic Cannabis Academy sound familiar, it was first mentioned on Episode 79, where David interviewed Laura Lagano. If not, go give it a listen too!
Donna Shields is co-founder of the Holistic Cannabis Academy, an online training program for health practitioners. As a registered dietitian, Donna began in the US Army Medical Corp, as a spokesperson for Fortune 100 food brands and managed health communications, globally, for The Coca-Cola Company. She’s been a freelance food and nutrition writer, full time faculty at the Culinary Institute of America and authored several cookbooks, including contributor to The Cannabis Kitchen Cookbook. Donna consults with the cannabis industry, offers cannabis retreats for professionals and is currently focused on helping health practitioners, in the US and Europe, build their cannabis coaching businesses.
Come and join our new One Small Bite Facebook community? Take part in the great conversation and become a member of a community that’s chopping diet culture, asking thought provoking questions about health at every size, and building positive relationships with food.
If you like this episode, then download the show wherever you listen to podcasts Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google and hit that subscribe button so you won’t miss an episode. While you’re there, let me know what nutrition or health topic you’d like me to cover or leave a review.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul!
- Episode 90: LatinX and Anti-Diet Approaches with Guest Dalina Soto
- Episode 89: Very Low Carbohydrate Diets and No Weight Loss? What’s Going On?
- Episode 88: 8 Red Flags of Weight Loss Research – Solo Episode
- Episode 87: Let’s Talk Cannabis – Everything You Need to Know with guest Donna Shields
- Episode 86: The Body Positive Fitness Center You Can’t Live Without with Guest Abbey Griffith
- Episode 85: Body Trust and How it Can Help You Break Free from Diet Culture with Guest Aaron Flores
- Special Episode 84: Friday Food Cast – COVID: A Year in Remembrance
- Episode 83: How Body Liberation Frees Us from Diet Culture with Guest Kent Thomas
- Episode 82: Is Dieting Causing You More Trauma? with Guest Patrick Bryant
- Episode 81: Friday Food Cast – Does Intermittent Fasting Work?