In this episode, David interviews Laura Lagano – author, writer, dietitian, and cannabis educator. Laura and David talk in depth about cannabis and the endocannabinoid system (don’t worry, this system is explained in the interview). They also discuss the difference between THC and cannabis and the effects cannabis has on our body relating to medication and foods. Laura also shares with us the important role her daughter has had in her journey through nutrition and cannabis.
Laura details the history of “cannaphobia”, the fear of cannabis, and how this fear proliferated our culture after previously being an unrestricted substance. Laura continues to educate us on the main uses of cannabis, the politics around cannabis, and reviews some important vocabulary to understand. David and her even discuss some of the myths and misconceptions of cannabis as a whole and the marginalization of marijuana and people of color. Needless to say, this episode does a deep dive into understanding a topic and industry that is rapidly changing, all things cannabis.
About Laura Lagano:
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Laura Lagano is the author of The CBD Oil Miracle (St. Martin’s Press, 2019) and co-founder and education director of the Holistic Cannabis Academy. Laura’s journey to cannabis was led by her dissatisfaction with what conventional healthcare had to offer her daughter, Isabella Speranza, whose name literally means beautiful hope. As one of a handful of RDNs who has completed the prestigious Institute of Functional Medicine program, Laura integrates her expertise in nutrition, functional medicine, and the endocannabinoid system in her private practice Laura Lagano Wellness. She speaks frequently at conferences about the ancient plant, consults with cannabis-related companies, and serves on the advisory boards of medical marijuana dispensaries. One of the first dietitians to work in the media, Laura writes for The Fresh Toast, Kitchen Toke, and Holistic Primary Care magazines and has written for or been quoted in the New York Times, Forbes, HuffPost, Stitcher, MerryJane, The Daily Beast, and numerous other media outlets. She was awarded an Ozy Rising Star award for her pioneering work in shining a light on the endocannabinoid system and the healing benefits of the cannabis plant. Laura’s core value system is about nurturing relationships though collaboration to eliminate “cannaphobia” globally.
Come and join our new One Small Bite Facebook community? Take part in the great conversation and become a member of a community that’s chopping diet culture, asking thought provoking questions about health at every size, and building positive relationships with food.
If you like this episode, then download the show wherever you listen to podcasts Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google and hit that subscribe button so you won’t miss an episode. While you’re there, let me know what nutrition or health topic you’d like me to cover or leave a review.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul!
- Part 2: How Chronic Dieting Exacerbates Eating Disorders in People with Type 2 Diabetes with Ashley Roehrig
- Part 1: How Chronic Dieting Exacerbates Eating Disorders in People with Type 2 Diabetes with Ashley Roehrig
- The 100th Episode: How I chopped my diet mentality!
- Part 3: The Secret of How Diet Culture Oppresses and Exploits the LatinX Community with Melissa Carmona
- Part 2: The Secret of How Diet Culture Oppresses and Exploits the LatinX Community with Carolina Guízar
- Part 1: The Secret of How Diet Culture Oppresses and Exploits the LatinX Community with Carolina Guízar
- How to Overcome Eating and Body Image Challenges with The Body Joyful Author Anne Poirier
- How Black Women and BIPoC are Further Marginalize by Diet Culture with Whitney Trotter
- How Storytelling Can Transform your Relationship with Your Body with Storyteller Kimberly Dark
- What Everyone Should Know About RED-S, Alcohol, Disordered Eating, and More with Val Schonberg