This week David talks with Desmond Spann, a poet, creator, emcee, and educator based in the Portland area, about his Friday Reflections podcast and more. Desmond talks about his journey and the importance of words and writing as a means for expressing and experiencing emotions. One thing Desmond shares with us that really sticks out in this interview, is his view that you can train your emotions, not control your emotions. Encouraging us to be aware of how we feel in the moment and choosing to retell ourselves a more positive narrative, all with the intentions of moving away from the fear based culture we currently live it.
This is an interesting episode, filled with insight into what Desmond has done and is doing with his work. As always there’s close connection between food (or the emotions around food) and what David’s guests are doing. Desmond shares his One Small Bite- write everyday even if it is just one word and build on it to help facilitate more self-reflections. He suggests starting with a word to summarize the day, whatever feels right to you. Writing every day is something both Desmond and David do and they mention the positive impacts it has had in their lives, even being a reason each of them had the material to put together a book.
A little about Desmond Spann:
In the face of rapid change, people are unsure of the world and doubt who we are. We realized we sheltered ourselves in the commutes to and from work. We stayed busy to hide our pain pretending everything was all good. Now that normal is gone, we are left with ourselves. We are left with our pain and we are strangers to ourselves.
As a Hip Hop poet, Desmond Spann creates poetry, music, and shares stories and insights to liberate our truth from fear. This truth may convince us of our inherit self-worth. This truth may show people how to create a society that systemically works for everyone. It’s a truth that seeks to bring clarity and awakened our deepest sense of who we are. Because when we liberate ourselves from fear, we discover who we are. We act. We impact this world for the better.
Links and Resources
Rhyme Masters Network
Desmond Spann’s book – Des Writes Bars and Poems Too
Desmond Spann’s band – Speaker Minds
Daniel Goleman’s book – Emotional Intelligence
Lisa Feldman Barrett’s Book – How Emotions are Made: The Secret Life of the Brain
Come and join our new One Small Bite Facebook community? Take part in the great conversation and become a member of a community that’s chopping diet culture, asking thought provoking questions about health at every size, and building positive relationships with food.
If you like this episode, then download the show wherever you listen to podcasts Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google and hit that subscribe button so you won’t miss an episode. While you’re there, let me know what nutrition or health topic you’d like me to cover or leave a review.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul!
- Episode 79: How Cannabis and Nutrition Can Help with Guest Laura Lagano
- Episode 78: 4 Key Elements of Unapologetic Eating with Guest Alissa Rumsey
- Episode 77: One Small Self-Reflection Method that Builds Your Inner Compass with Guest Desmond Spann
- Episode 76: Friday Food Cast – How Weight Loss Articles Send the Wrong Messages
- Episode 75: Straight From the Client: How Intuitive Eating Worked for Me with Dr. Wanda Williams
- Episode 74: Series – Anti-Diet Approaches to New Year’s Resolutions with Angie Dye
- Episode 73: Series – Anti-Diet Approaches to New Year’s Resolutions with Lisa Carrigg
- Episode 72: Series – Anti-Diet Approaches to New Year’s Resolutions with Tiffany Thoen
- Episode 71: Series – Anti-Diet Approaches to New Year’s Resolutions with Vincci Tsui
- Episode 70: Friday Food Cast – 1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY EPISODE!!!