This episode is another great interview with Patrick Bryant, a licensed therapist and a continued guest on the One Small Bite podcast. Patrick and David discuss the question, is dieting causing more trauma?
This question stems from David’s work with his clients, specifically one client whose father called her fat in her preteen years and how a statement from so long ago impacted her for years. This clients story isn’t unfamiliar in the work we do, but got David questioning if this could be considered a type of trauma. Patrick share with us the definition of trauma, the flight/fight/freeze/submit reposes (which are all normal reposes to overwhelming events in life), and what the submit response can look like. They also dive into how the submit response could be applied to diets and discuss the vagus nerve. If you’ve listened to episode 50 (linked below) you’ll be familiar with their quick chat about the Four Ps.
As many of you know Patrick Bryant, LCSW, and his wife, Megan Bryant LPC, ATR, own The Peaceful Place LLC, which is a person-centered, mindfulness-based psychotherapy practice with several clinicians. Their practice is focused on understanding and respecting people where they are in their lives. They focus on your journey in growth and development, helping you move through the uncomfortable spaces, rather than avoid them. It’s about finding that self-compassion and self-awareness that is key!
Previous Episodes with Patrick
Episode 50: The Secret Ingredient of Healthy Eating: Compassion – with Guest Patrick Bryant
Episode 45: 4 Ways Guys Can Enhance Their Sex Life
Episode 29: The Tool Kit to Navigating Loneliness with Patrick Bryant
Episode 21: Implicit Biases and How They Affect Us Men with Patrick Bryant
Episode 16: How Hyper-masculinity is Ruining More Than Just Our Health with Co-host Patrick Bryant
Episode 004: Nourishing your Soul with Patrick Bryant
Come and join our new One Small Bite Facebook community? Take part in the great conversation and become a member of a community that’s chopping diet culture, asking thought provoking questions about health at every size, and building positive relationships with food.
If you like this episode, then download the show wherever you listen to podcasts Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google and hit that subscribe button so you won’t miss an episode. While you’re there, let me know what nutrition or health topic you’d like me to cover or leave a review.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul!
- Episode 88: 8 Red Flags of Weight Loss Research – Solo Episode
- Episode 87: Let’s Talk Cannabis – Everything You Need to Know with guest Donna Shields
- Episode 86: The Body Positive Fitness Center You Can’t Live Without with Guest Abbey Griffith
- Episode 85: Body Trust and How it Can Help You Break Free from Diet Culture with Guest Aaron Flores
- Special Episode 84: Friday Food Cast – COVID: A Year in Remembrance
- Episode 83: How Body Liberation Frees Us from Diet Culture with Guest Kent Thomas
- Episode 82: Is Dieting Causing You More Trauma? with Guest Patrick Bryant
- Episode 81: Friday Food Cast – Does Intermittent Fasting Work?
- Episode 80: Cool Alternative Careers for Chefs with Guest Chef Chris Spear
- Episode 79: How Cannabis and Nutrition Can Help with Guest Laura Lagano