In this episode registered dietitian nutritionist Tamara Melton with Diversify Dietetics, speaks to us about how she is increasing the racial and ethnic diversity in the field of nutrition by empowering black nutrition leaders of tomorrow. This is vital as over 81% of registered dietitian nutritionist are white, and only 3% are black, which is a huge disparity to health equity.
Tamara is the co-founder and Executive Director of Diversify Dietetics, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with a mission to increase the racial and ethnic diversity in the field of nutrition by empowering nutrition leaders of tomorrow. At Diversify Dietetics Tamara oversees programming that provides resources such as mentors, application preparation, academic course remediation, scholarships and more to BIPOC dietetics students, interns and young professionals. Tamara also leads the development and delivery of trainings for dietetics educators and preceptors. These trainings teach strategies and skills needed to support diverse students in dietetics programs. Tamara’s personal area of dietetics practice focuses on providing culturally-sensitive care for Black women, who are the health matriarchs of their families. Through her online platform, Tamara’s Table, she provides practical and culturally-sensitive, evidenced-based nutrition education programming that celebrates the African diaspora.
Links and Resources
Diversify Dietetics website: https://www.diversifydietetics.org
Self Magazine Article: Our Idea of Healthy Eating Excludes Other Cultures, and That’s a Problem
Come and join our new One Small Bite Facebook community? Take part in the great conversation and become a member of a community that’s chopping diet culture, asking thought provoking questions about health at every size, and building positive relationships with food.
If you like this episode, then download the show wherever you listen to podcasts Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google and hit that subscribe button so you won’t miss an episode. While you’re there, let me know what nutrition or health topic you’d like me to cover or leave a review.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul!
- Episode 88: 8 Red Flags of Weight Loss Research – Solo Episode
- Episode 87: Let’s Talk Cannabis – Everything You Need to Know with guest Donna Shields
- Episode 86: The Body Positive Fitness Center You Can’t Live Without with Guest Abbey Griffith
- Episode 85: Body Trust and How it Can Help You Break Free from Diet Culture with Guest Aaron Flores
- Special Episode 84: Friday Food Cast – COVID: A Year in Remembrance
- Episode 83: How Body Liberation Frees Us from Diet Culture with Guest Kent Thomas
- Episode 82: Is Dieting Causing You More Trauma? with Guest Patrick Bryant
- Episode 81: Friday Food Cast – Does Intermittent Fasting Work?
- Episode 80: Cool Alternative Careers for Chefs with Guest Chef Chris Spear
- Episode 79: How Cannabis and Nutrition Can Help with Guest Laura Lagano