In this episode registered dietitian nutritionist Tamara Melton with Diversify Dietetics, speaks to us about how she is increasing the racial and ethnic diversity in the field of nutrition by empowering black nutrition leaders of tomorrow. This is vital as over 81% of registered dietitian nutritionist are white, and only 3% are black, which is a huge disparity to health equity.
Tamara is the co-founder and Executive Director of Diversify Dietetics, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with a mission to increase the racial and ethnic diversity in the field of nutrition by empowering nutrition leaders of tomorrow. At Diversify Dietetics Tamara oversees programming that provides resources such as mentors, application preparation, academic course remediation, scholarships and more to BIPOC dietetics students, interns and young professionals. Tamara also leads the development and delivery of trainings for dietetics educators and preceptors. These trainings teach strategies and skills needed to support diverse students in dietetics programs. Tamara’s personal area of dietetics practice focuses on providing culturally-sensitive care for Black women, who are the health matriarchs of their families. Through her online platform, Tamara’s Table, she provides practical and culturally-sensitive, evidenced-based nutrition education programming that celebrates the African diaspora.
Links and Resources
Diversify Dietetics website: https://www.diversifydietetics.org
Self Magazine Article: Our Idea of Healthy Eating Excludes Other Cultures, and That’s a Problem
Come and join our new One Small Bite Facebook community? Take part in the great conversation and become a member of a community that’s chopping diet culture, asking thought provoking questions about health at every size, and building positive relationships with food.
If you like this episode, then download the show wherever you listen to podcasts Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google and hit that subscribe button so you won’t miss an episode. While you’re there, let me know what nutrition or health topic you’d like me to cover or leave a review.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul!
- Episode 71: Series – Anti-Diet Approaches to New Year’s Resolutions with Vincci Tsui
- Episode 70: Friday Food Cast – 1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY EPISODE!!!
- Episode 68: Series – Anti-Diet Approaches to New Year’s Resolutions with Erica Mouch
- Episode 67: Who Else Wants to Find Balance Nourishing Their Soul? With Tai Chi Master Gu
- Episode 66: Friday Food Cast – 6 Secrets to Intuitively Steering Through Holiday Food Events
- Episode 65: Build Confidence and Be an Intuitive Eater with Julie Delucca Collins
- Episode 64: Part 2 – The Secret to Healthy…It’s Not About Being Skinny with Guest Tiana Dodson
- Episode 63: Part 1 – The Secret to Healthy…It’s Not About Being Skinny with Guest Tiana Dodson
- Episode 62: How Your Health is Determined By the Professional with Guest Tamara Melton
- Episode 61: Think Your Health is Determined by Only What You Eat? Guest Michelle Gooden Makes Us Think Again