What mental illness has the highest mortality rate of any mental illness? Did you know that over 30 million Americans suffer from some type of Eating Disorder, and 10 million are men? What!? This is no joke folks! In this episode we help you understand Eating Disorders and what that means in relation to our diet culture and weight phobic society. Eating disorders can be a very challenging, complicated, and even a deadly condition that needs serious attention from all of us. Chances are that you either know someone dealing with an eating disorder, or you might be dealing with it yourself. Now more than ever due to our current COVID crisis, this episode will help give us a greater understanding and clarity to the complexities and complications around eating disorders. This is why I’ve put together this two (2) part series episode with expert guest Dr. Linda Paulk Buchanan, psychologist, therapist, and former owner and founder of ACE – Atlanta Center for Eating Disorders. She has over 30 years’ experience working in Eating Disorders, and brings a depth and breadth of expertise in eating disorders that are parallel to none! Dr. Buchanan and I just barely touch the tip of that iceberg.
In this Part 1 Episode we discuss:
- What is an Eating Disorder, the various types, and diagnosis trends
- The most current clinical guidelines and treatments
- What are treatment and programs – individual, intensive outpatient, partial hospitalization, etc.
- What are some of the nutritional and life-long challenges
All this and so much more. And then keep listening, the following week we bring Part 2 with topics like
- Dual or multiple diagnosis – trauma, anxiety, aepression, chronic illnesses
- Using narrative therapies and approaches
- Dealing with ambivalence
- Genetics and Life experiences – Nature vs Nurture
- New/different types of ED – orthorexia
- Healthy At Every Size and Inuitive Eating
- Effects on Metabolism and Setpoint Theory
- What is it rewarding to work with people with ED
A little background on Dr. Buchanan. She founded Atlanta Center for Eating Disorders in 1993 which was acquired by Walden Behavioral Care in 2017 for whom she currently works as Senior Director of Clinical Services. Her book A Clinician’s Guide to Pathological Ambivalence: How to be on Your Client’s Side Without Taking a Side was published in 2019, the content of which she has presented at multiple national conferences. Dr. Buchanan serves as a peer reviewer of American Psychological Association (APA) Journals for Practice Innovations and was a reviewer for the APA guidelines for treating eating disorders. She has published two chapters on her model of treatment of eating disorders which have been used as texts in doctoral programs for Clinical Psychology students. Additionally, she has published four research articles on the treatment of eating disorders including two outcome studies of the treatment provided at Atlanta Center for Eating Disorders.
If you like this episode, then download my show wherever you listen to podcasts Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google and hit that subscribe button so you won’t miss an episode. While you’re there, let me know what nutrition or health topic you’d like me to cover or leave a review.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul!
- Episode 88: 8 Red Flags of Weight Loss Research – Solo Episode
- Episode 87: Let’s Talk Cannabis – Everything You Need to Know with guest Donna Shields
- Episode 86: The Body Positive Fitness Center You Can’t Live Without with Guest Abbey Griffith
- Episode 85: Body Trust and How it Can Help You Break Free from Diet Culture with Guest Aaron Flores
- Special Episode 84: Friday Food Cast – COVID: A Year in Remembrance
- Episode 83: How Body Liberation Frees Us from Diet Culture with Guest Kent Thomas
- Episode 82: Is Dieting Causing You More Trauma? with Guest Patrick Bryant
- Episode 81: Friday Food Cast – Does Intermittent Fasting Work?
- Episode 80: Cool Alternative Careers for Chefs with Guest Chef Chris Spear
- Episode 79: How Cannabis and Nutrition Can Help with Guest Laura Lagano