OK Y’all, it’s my Part 2 interview with Eating Disorders expert Dr. Linda Buchanan. We had a great first part discussion about the basics and understanding what Eating Disorders are, what they look like, what treatment looks like, and what to pay attention to. Dr. Buchanan explained that eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness, and how over 30 million Americans suffer from some type of Eating Disorder, 10 million of which are for men. Like I mentioned before, this mental and nutritional condition is no joke folks! If you haven’t heard Part 1, go over and take a listen so you can get a good introduction to Part 2.
In Part 2 we delve deeper into the various nuances and challenges of Eating Disorders. Dr. Buchanan helps us understand Eating Disorders at a whole new level with topics such as.
- Dual or multiple diagnosis – trauma, anxiety, depression, chronic illnesses
- Using narrative therapies and approaches
- Dealing with ambivalence
- Genetics and Life experiences – Nature vs Nurture
- New/different types of ED – orthorexia
- Healthy At Every Size and Intuitive Eating
- Effects on Metabolism and Setpoint Theory
- What is it rewarding to work with people with ED
Please visit Episode 39 to get the full backgrounder on Dr. Buchanan. She founded Atlanta Center for Eating Disorders in 1993 which was acquired by Walden Behavioral Care in 2017 for whom she currently works as Senior Director of Clinical Services. Her book A Clinician’s Guide to Pathological Ambivalence: How to be on Your Client’s Side Without Taking a Side was published in 2019, the content of which she has presented at multiple national conferences.
If you like this episode, then download my show wherever you listen to podcasts Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google and hit that subscribe button so you won’t miss an episode. While you’re there, let me know what nutrition or health topic you’d like me to cover or leave a review.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul!
- Episode 60: BONUS Friday Food Hack – One Key Way to Avoid the Food Guilt Around Thanksgiving
- Episode 59: Want to Know How to Convert Your Picky Eater? Here’s Small Bites with Chef Asata Reid
- Episode 58: What Everyone Ought to Know About Grilling with Grillmaster Ed Gaile
- Episode 57: How to Life with Guest Dr. Laura Jaget
- Episode 56: Solution Focused Approaches for Those Little Picky Eaters with Guest Cher Kretz
- Episode 55: Spooked by Halloween Candy? Don’t be – Learn How to Enjoy Your Treats Intuitively
- Episode 54: The Secret of Intuitive Eating for Athletes | Ditching Diet Culture and Improve Performance with Kia Bourne
- Episode 53: How Camping Nourishes Your Soul | 8 Health Benefits
- Episode 52: Is It Safe to Go Back to Your Gym? What to Consider with Guest Jason Varley
- Episode 51: Friday Food Hack – 6 Mindful Eating Techniques That Will Enhance Your Health