OK Y’all, it’s my Part 2 interview with Eating Disorders expert Dr. Linda Buchanan. We had a great first part discussion about the basics and understanding what Eating Disorders are, what they look like, what treatment looks like, and what to pay attention to. Dr. Buchanan explained that eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness, and how over 30 million Americans suffer from some type of Eating Disorder, 10 million of which are for men. Like I mentioned before, this mental and nutritional condition is no joke folks! If you haven’t heard Part 1, go over and take a listen so you can get a good introduction to Part 2.
In Part 2 we delve deeper into the various nuances and challenges of Eating Disorders. Dr. Buchanan helps us understand Eating Disorders at a whole new level with topics such as.
- Dual or multiple diagnosis – trauma, anxiety, depression, chronic illnesses
- Using narrative therapies and approaches
- Dealing with ambivalence
- Genetics and Life experiences – Nature vs Nurture
- New/different types of ED – orthorexia
- Healthy At Every Size and Intuitive Eating
- Effects on Metabolism and Setpoint Theory
- What is it rewarding to work with people with ED
Please visit Episode 39 to get the full backgrounder on Dr. Buchanan. She founded Atlanta Center for Eating Disorders in 1993 which was acquired by Walden Behavioral Care in 2017 for whom she currently works as Senior Director of Clinical Services. Her book A Clinician’s Guide to Pathological Ambivalence: How to be on Your Client’s Side Without Taking a Side was published in 2019, the content of which she has presented at multiple national conferences.
If you like this episode, then download my show wherever you listen to podcasts Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google and hit that subscribe button so you won’t miss an episode. While you’re there, let me know what nutrition or health topic you’d like me to cover or leave a review.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul!
- Part 1: The Secret of How Diet Culture Oppresses and Exploits the LatinX Community with Carolina Guízar
- How to Overcome Eating and Body Image Challenges with The Body Joyful Author Anne Poirier
- How Black Women and BIPoC are Further Marginalize by Diet Culture with Whitney Trotter
- How Storytelling Can Transform your Relationship with Your Body with Storyteller Kimberly Dark
- What Everyone Should Know About RED-S, Alcohol, Disordered Eating, and More with Val Schonberg
- Episode 92: How to Combat Chronic Illness with an Anti-Diet, Intuitive Eating Approach
- Episode 91: Reembody Breathing Room App with Kevin Moore and Beck Beverage
- Episode 90: LatinX and Anti-Diet Approaches with Guest Dalina Soto
- Episode 89: Very Low Carbohydrate Diets and No Weight Loss? What’s Going On?
- Episode 88: 8 Red Flags of Weight Loss Research – Solo Episode