What does implicit bias mean, and in particularly how does it affect the way we eat, live, play, love, and become gentlemen? In this episode my buddy Patrick (from The Peaceful Place, LLC) and I shoot the breeze again about implicit biases by men toward men; by women toward men; by men toward women, what men assume women want, think, etc. about expectations for men. An example is how we raise boys to suck it up, be strong, independent, and fight it out, which all exacerbate hypermasculinity reinforce stereotypes, gendered segregation, negative perceptions and sensitivities between/toward other genders, reactions to/avoidance of vulnerability, excessive or extreme sports or exercising, and eating disorders in men.
Listen in to our 4 Antidote to Implicit Bias
We are having these conversations to allow us the freedom and permission to redefine masculinity and its parameters, seek and build compassion and kindness to ourselves as well as others, normalizing diversity within masculinity – it’s ok to be masculine; it’s not ok to shame/judge others for not meeting standards for extreme masculinity. Being respectful, gentlemanly, responsible, competitive, protective, etc. are fine qualities, but it’s more about how we attain in mindful and compassionate ways.
I would love to hear what you think. Feel free to go to my website contact and tell me what you would like to hear, what are some of YOUR challenges or topics you’d like me to cover, and who you want to hear from. Leave me a message here and I will get to your answer on one of our next episodes.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul! I look forward to serving you soon!
- Episode 55: Spooked by Halloween Candy? Don’t be – Learn How to Enjoy Your Treats Intuitively
- Episode 54: The Secret of Intuitive Eating for Athletes | Ditching Diet Culture and Improve Performance with Kia Bourne
- Episode 53: How Camping Nourishes Your Soul | 8 Health Benefits
- Episode 52: Is It Safe to Go Back to Your Gym? What to Consider with Guest Jason Varley
- Episode 51: Friday Food Hack – 6 Mindful Eating Techniques That Will Enhance Your Health
- Episode 50: The Secret Ingredient of Healthy Eating: Compassion – with Guest Patrick Bryant
- Episode 49 – How Teamwork in Healthcare can Enhance Your Physical Performance and Nutrition with Guest Andrew Takata
- Episode 48 – Want to Know How Curiosity Can Enhance Your Health?
- Episode 47 – Eat What You Want and Live Healthy the OSB Way!
- BONUS Episode 46: Friday Food Hack – Is a Keto Diet Right for You?