What does implicit bias mean, and in particularly how does it affect the way we eat, live, play, love, and become gentlemen? In this episode my buddy Patrick (from The Peaceful Place, LLC) and I shoot the breeze again about implicit biases by men toward men; by women toward men; by men toward women, what men assume women want, think, etc. about expectations for men. An example is how we raise boys to suck it up, be strong, independent, and fight it out, which all exacerbate hypermasculinity reinforce stereotypes, gendered segregation, negative perceptions and sensitivities between/toward other genders, reactions to/avoidance of vulnerability, excessive or extreme sports or exercising, and eating disorders in men.
Listen in to our 4 Antidote to Implicit Bias
We are having these conversations to allow us the freedom and permission to redefine masculinity and its parameters, seek and build compassion and kindness to ourselves as well as others, normalizing diversity within masculinity – it’s ok to be masculine; it’s not ok to shame/judge others for not meeting standards for extreme masculinity. Being respectful, gentlemanly, responsible, competitive, protective, etc. are fine qualities, but it’s more about how we attain in mindful and compassionate ways.
I would love to hear what you think. Feel free to go to my website contact and tell me what you would like to hear, what are some of YOUR challenges or topics you’d like me to cover, and who you want to hear from. Leave me a message here and I will get to your answer on one of our next episodes.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul! I look forward to serving you soon!
- Episode 37: Part 1 – How to Ditch Diets and Make Peace with Food with Elyse Resch
- Episode 36: Top 5 Hydration Hacks that Buck Trends
- Episode 35: How to Enjoy Tequila AND Turmeric with Kristen Olson
- Episode 34: Friday Food Hack – Processed Foods: What Everyone Ought to Know
- Episode 33: How to Snooze and Lose with Dr. Lydia Sosenko
- Episode 32: What Everyone Ought to Know About Burnout with Dr. Andrew Tisser
- Episode 31: How To Stop BroScience, Body Image, and Disorders in Eating with Adrien Paczosa
- Episode 30: 30-Day Challenge! How To Use One Small Bite
- Episode 29: The Tool Kit to Navigating Loneliness with Patrick Bryant
- Episode 28: Family Cooking with Liz Weiss