Welcome to the Friday Food Hack bonus episode number 46! In these Friday Food Hacks, I serve up nutrition, fitness, and health hacks to help optimize your health and your life.
Today’s topic – Is Keto Diet Right for You? In this episode of the Friday Food Hack I explore the recent diet craze of Ketogenic Diets, or Keto for short. I talk about the research and history behind The Keto Diet, what it shows, how it effects the body, and whether there is strong backing that this diet actually helps us. I came across this topic because of the number of people that have been inquiring about it and because of how many podcasts, reviews, and articles there currently are about this extremely low carb diet.
Is it a diet that’s right for everyone? TD Wellness takes a non-diet approach but that doesn’t mean some diets aren’t right for all. Ketogenic diet was created in the late 1920’s by a physician to help people with epilepsy or seizure disorders, this was a before anticonvulsant/anti-seizure medication were developed. There isn’t much research for keto diets and people without seizure disorders.
Keto Diets consist of 80% fat, 15% protein, and 5% or less carbohydrates. IF you listed to my last FFH (Episode 41) you already know what concerns that could cause. The most common and easiest to consume high fat foods tend to be higher in saturated fats, also causing some concerning dilemmas. Another fact is that putting your body into a ketogenic state also promotes dehydration due to how acidic keto diets tend to be.
Yes, the body can make glucose but lets look at what that means. Where is your body pulling the fuel from to make it into glucose? How stressful is this on your body? What feelings around food happen? What does the weight loss pattern look like? Are there long term negative effects? What about my social life? How can this diet effect my mood or energy levels? Is it sustainable long term? These questions and more are discussed in this Friday Food Hack. Important questions to ask yourself – what is healthy??
Most importantly remember, weight is not the center of health! Let’s chop the diet mentality, fuel your body, and nourish your soul.
Other resources mentioned in this podcast:
- Kia Bourne, RDN, LD at TD Wellness
- Episode 40: Part 2 – What No One Tells You About Eating Disorders with Guest Dr. Linda Paulk Buchanan
- Episode 39: Part 1 – What No One Tells You About Eating Disorders with Guest Dr. Linda Paulk Buchanan
- Episode 38: Part 2 – How to Ditch Diets and Make Peace with Food with Elyse Resch
- Episode 37: Part 1 – How to Ditch Diets and Make Peace with Food with Elyse Resch
- Episode 13: Eat What You Want, Eat What You Need with Evelyn Tribole
Tune in and join me for this great episode, and then let me know what you think. Shoot me an email and leave me your thoughts. While you’re listening, please leave me a review, and if you like the episode share it with a friend.
If you like this episode, then download my show wherever you listen to podcasts Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google and hit that subscribe button so you won’t miss an episode. While you’re there, let me know what nutrition or health topic you’d like me to cover or leave a review.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul!
- Part 1: The Secret of How Diet Culture Oppresses and Exploits the LatinX Community with Carolina Guízar
- How to Overcome Eating and Body Image Challenges with The Body Joyful Author Anne Poirier
- How Black Women and BIPoC are Further Marginalize by Diet Culture with Whitney Trotter
- How Storytelling Can Transform your Relationship with Your Body with Storyteller Kimberly Dark
- What Everyone Should Know About RED-S, Alcohol, Disordered Eating, and More with Val Schonberg
- Episode 92: How to Combat Chronic Illness with an Anti-Diet, Intuitive Eating Approach
- Episode 91: Reembody Breathing Room App with Kevin Moore and Beck Beverage
- Episode 90: LatinX and Anti-Diet Approaches with Guest Dalina Soto
- Episode 89: Very Low Carbohydrate Diets and No Weight Loss? What’s Going On?
- Episode 88: 8 Red Flags of Weight Loss Research – Solo Episode