Welcome to the Friday Food Hack bonus episode number 46! In these Friday Food Hacks, I serve up nutrition, fitness, and health hacks to help optimize your health and your life.
Today’s topic – Is Keto Diet Right for You? In this episode of the Friday Food Hack I explore the recent diet craze of Ketogenic Diets, or Keto for short. I talk about the research and history behind The Keto Diet, what it shows, how it effects the body, and whether there is strong backing that this diet actually helps us. I came across this topic because of the number of people that have been inquiring about it and because of how many podcasts, reviews, and articles there currently are about this extremely low carb diet.
Is it a diet that’s right for everyone? TD Wellness takes a non-diet approach but that doesn’t mean some diets aren’t right for all. Ketogenic diet was created in the late 1920’s by a physician to help people with epilepsy or seizure disorders, this was a before anticonvulsant/anti-seizure medication were developed. There isn’t much research for keto diets and people without seizure disorders.
Keto Diets consist of 80% fat, 15% protein, and 5% or less carbohydrates. IF you listed to my last FFH (Episode 41) you already know what concerns that could cause. The most common and easiest to consume high fat foods tend to be higher in saturated fats, also causing some concerning dilemmas. Another fact is that putting your body into a ketogenic state also promotes dehydration due to how acidic keto diets tend to be.
Yes, the body can make glucose but lets look at what that means. Where is your body pulling the fuel from to make it into glucose? How stressful is this on your body? What feelings around food happen? What does the weight loss pattern look like? Are there long term negative effects? What about my social life? How can this diet effect my mood or energy levels? Is it sustainable long term? These questions and more are discussed in this Friday Food Hack. Important questions to ask yourself – what is healthy??
Most importantly remember, weight is not the center of health! Let’s chop the diet mentality, fuel your body, and nourish your soul.
Other resources mentioned in this podcast:
- Kia Bourne, RDN, LD at TD Wellness
- Episode 40: Part 2 – What No One Tells You About Eating Disorders with Guest Dr. Linda Paulk Buchanan
- Episode 39: Part 1 – What No One Tells You About Eating Disorders with Guest Dr. Linda Paulk Buchanan
- Episode 38: Part 2 – How to Ditch Diets and Make Peace with Food with Elyse Resch
- Episode 37: Part 1 – How to Ditch Diets and Make Peace with Food with Elyse Resch
- Episode 13: Eat What You Want, Eat What You Need with Evelyn Tribole
Tune in and join me for this great episode, and then let me know what you think. Shoot me an email and leave me your thoughts. While you’re listening, please leave me a review, and if you like the episode share it with a friend.
If you like this episode, then download my show wherever you listen to podcasts Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google and hit that subscribe button so you won’t miss an episode. While you’re there, let me know what nutrition or health topic you’d like me to cover or leave a review.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul!
- Episode 60: BONUS Friday Food Hack – One Key Way to Avoid the Food Guilt Around Thanksgiving
- Episode 59: Want to Know How to Convert Your Picky Eater? Here’s Small Bites with Chef Asata Reid
- Episode 58: What Everyone Ought to Know About Grilling with Grillmaster Ed Gaile
- Episode 57: How to Life with Guest Dr. Laura Jaget
- Episode 56: Solution Focused Approaches for Those Little Picky Eaters with Guest Cher Kretz
- Episode 55: Spooked by Halloween Candy? Don’t be – Learn How to Enjoy Your Treats Intuitively
- Episode 54: The Secret of Intuitive Eating for Athletes | Ditching Diet Culture and Improve Performance with Kia Bourne
- Episode 53: How Camping Nourishes Your Soul | 8 Health Benefits
- Episode 52: Is It Safe to Go Back to Your Gym? What to Consider with Guest Jason Varley
- Episode 51: Friday Food Hack – 6 Mindful Eating Techniques That Will Enhance Your Health