Loneliness has enormous implications and effects on our health. Loneliness can be manifested as boredom, anger, fear, anxiety, or other more dangerous forms of emotional expression. In this episode I bring back my friend and therapist Patrick Bryant, LCSW to discuss what Loneliness is, what it means, how it comes about, and how it plays out in our behaviors especially now with physical distancing and quarantine guidelines. We discuss how Loneliness can be a major factor in the way we eat such as overeating, stress eating, mindless or boredom eating, or just the opposite such as restricting, avoiding, or controlling food in one way or another. Listen in as we provide the action steps in The Tool Kit to Navigating Loneliness
1. Acknowledge It – Paying attention with what we are feeling, and what makes us so uncomfortable. Understanding the difference between being lonely or being alone, and how isolation and the degree of social distancing can be harmful. Are we inventing any stories about our identity while feeling this way? (no one likes me, I’m worthless if I’m not engaged with people, loneliness is forever, I should really get over it – men don’t worry about these things, etc.)
2. Own It – Labeling it and owning “Ok, I’m feeling lonely. Wonder what that’s about?” Avoiding or ignoring your loneliness only gives more power to the discomfort, and conditions one to believe they cannot handle it, thereby, reacting more strongly and automatically each time they become of loneliness.
3. Move Through It – Now that we are aware and own up to what we’re feeling, let’s look at tips and techniques that will help us move through our Loneliness such as Stress Eating Interruption exercise, Eating With People, Finding Connections, and Being Present techniques like Meditation, Breathing, and more.
Hope this episode helps you or someone you know! I would love to hear what you think. Feel free to go to my website and tell me what you would like to hear, what are some of YOUR challenges or topics you’d like me to cover, and who you want to hear from. Leave me a message here and I will get to your answer on one of our next episodes. And when you get a chance, please leave me a review and share this episode with a friend at to Apple Podcast!
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul! I look forward to serving you soon!
- Episode 52: Is It Safe to Go Back to Your Gym? What to Consider with Guest Jason Varley
- Episode 51: Friday Food Hack – 6 Mindful Eating Techniques That Will Enhance Your Health
- Episode 50: The Secret Ingredient of Healthy Eating: Compassion – with Guest Patrick Bryant
- Episode 49 – How Teamwork in Healthcare can Enhance Your Physical Performance and Nutrition with Guest Andrew Takata
- Episode 48 – Want to Know How Curiosity Can Enhance Your Health?
- Episode 47 – Eat What You Want and Live Healthy the OSB Way!
- BONUS Episode 46: Friday Food Hack – Is a Keto Diet Right for You?
- Episode 45: 4 Ways Guys Can Enhance Their Sex Life
- Episode 44: Avoid Cooking and Still Eat Healthy with guest Jessica Todd
- Episode 43: 8 Simple Ways to Meal Plan Intuitively