Happy 2021 everyone! I hope you enjoyed the first episode of this series last week! For the second Anti-Diet Approach to New Year’s Resolutions series episode David interviews Maria Scrimenti, Intuitive Eating counselor and owner of Maria Scrimenti LLC. They discuss three ways to build a different approach to New Year’s Resolutions.
During this interview Maria and David talk about interoceptive awareness, Maria shares her path in nutrition, how binge eating is a natural response to starvation, and how dietitians can get caught in some of the same mind traps as their clients. Crazy to think that dietitians are humans too, right? Towards the end of this podcast Maria says something that hits close to home – “Goals are not pass/fail, but an experiment”. That’s really something to think on and she takes that into her three ways to build a different approach to New Year’s Resolutions.
Ways to build a different approach to New Year’s Resolutions
- Honor Your Hunger
- Pace Yourself, Leave The All or Nothing Mentality Behind
- Ask, “What Did You Learn from this Experiment or About Yourself?”
Maria is a Certified Intuitive Eating Counselor who helps people make peace with food. She specializes in “emotional eating”, body dissatisfaction, and disordered eating such as chronic dieting and binge eating. She has a Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science from Belmont University and a Health & Wellness Coach Certification from the American College of Sports Medicine- affiliated Wellcoaches. Maria has almost a decade of experience in the fitness industry with 7 specialty exercise certifications. She has also completed nearly 20 graduate- level courses in counseling and is a fitness instructor at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN.
Come and join our new One Small Bite Facebook community? Take part in the great conversation and become a member of a community that’s chopping diet culture, asking thought provoking questions about health at every size, and building positive relationships with food.
If you like this episode, then download the show wherever you listen to podcasts Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google and hit that subscribe button so you won’t miss an episode. While you’re there, let me know what nutrition or health topic you’d like me to cover or leave a review.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul!
- Episode 90: LatinX and Anti-Diet Approaches with Guest Dalina Soto
- Episode 89: Very Low Carbohydrate Diets and No Weight Loss? What’s Going On?
- Episode 88: 8 Red Flags of Weight Loss Research – Solo Episode
- Episode 87: Let’s Talk Cannabis – Everything You Need to Know with guest Donna Shields
- Episode 86: The Body Positive Fitness Center You Can’t Live Without with Guest Abbey Griffith
- Episode 85: Body Trust and How it Can Help You Break Free from Diet Culture with Guest Aaron Flores
- Special Episode 84: Friday Food Cast – COVID: A Year in Remembrance
- Episode 83: How Body Liberation Frees Us from Diet Culture with Guest Kent Thomas
- Episode 82: Is Dieting Causing You More Trauma? with Guest Patrick Bryant
- Episode 81: Friday Food Cast – Does Intermittent Fasting Work?