This podcast is a little different than many I have done before. This week on One Small Bite, I interview Tai Chi Master Gu and apprentice George Thompson from Tai Chi, Qi Gong & Taoist Academy in Central China’s Wudang Mountains. We recorded this podcast in different countries on different continents which to me is SO cool! During our interview Master Gu gives us insight into his story, his lineage, and the philosophies of his teachings. George tells us how he found Master Gu and what lessons he has gained from his learnings.
This episode is a must listen! We discuss the differences between Tai Chi and Qi Gong, the philosophy of wellness from Taoism, and how food and sleep is a crucial part of Chi (AKA energy). Master Gu and George Thompson share their different habits around food. Our talk considers the balance around fueling your body and nourishing your soul.
So, remember – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel Your Body; and Nourish Your Soul
Master Gu Shining is the director of Wudang Taoist Culture Centre (WTCC) and headmaster of the Wudang Taoist Wellness Academy (WTWA). Among the martial artists in the Wudangshan area, he is one of the few who was born here, and perhaps the only one who can teach in fluent English. While most institutions focus primarily on movement teaching, Master Gu has been directing his academy to follow the Taoist Way: not only movement but also internal alchemy and cultural exploration.
Gu Shining’s Chinese name is Gu Shiyi. Shining is his Taoist name, as he belongs to the 15th generation of Wudang Sanfeng Pai or sect, His shīfu (fatherly feacher) is Grandmaster Zhong Qingwei (Taoist name) or Zhong Yunlong.
Master Gu aims to spread the wisdom and wellness practices of Taoism, and to help all who wish to learn and explore deeper into the Taoist culture. He teaches primarily at the WTWA in the Wudang Mountains, but also teaches abroad when invited.
Links and Resources
Master Gu’s Online Wudang Taoist Wellness Academy is a unique online academy teaching tai chi, qi gong and natural living from the beautiful Wudang Mountains, China. Join a friendly student community of over 350 students learning how to live long and live well with Master Gu. Find out more by clicking the link below:
George Thompson’s YouTube Channel is full of videos exploring practical philosophy for joyful living from a first-person perspective of someone still trying to work life out:
Come and join our new One Small Bite Facebook community? Take part in the great conversation and become a member of a community that’s chopping diet culture, asking thought provoking questions about health at every size, and building positive relationships with food.
If you like this episode, then download the show wherever you listen to podcasts Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google and hit that subscribe button so you won’t miss an episode. While you’re there, let me know what nutrition or health topic you’d like me to cover or leave a review.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul!
- Episode 71: Series – Anti-Diet Approaches to New Year’s Resolutions with Vincci Tsui
- Episode 70: Friday Food Cast – 1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY EPISODE!!!
- Episode 68: Series – Anti-Diet Approaches to New Year’s Resolutions with Erica Mouch
- Episode 67: Who Else Wants to Find Balance Nourishing Their Soul? With Tai Chi Master Gu
- Episode 66: Friday Food Cast – 6 Secrets to Intuitively Steering Through Holiday Food Events
- Episode 65: Build Confidence and Be an Intuitive Eater with Julie Delucca Collins
- Episode 64: Part 2 – The Secret to Healthy…It’s Not About Being Skinny with Guest Tiana Dodson
- Episode 63: Part 1 – The Secret to Healthy…It’s Not About Being Skinny with Guest Tiana Dodson
- Episode 62: How Your Health is Determined By the Professional with Guest Tamara Melton
- Episode 61: Think Your Health is Determined by Only What You Eat? Guest Michelle Gooden Makes Us Think Again