Did you know that there are a lot of misconceptions regarding what is and what isn’t normal sleep? Well, I’ve invited Dr. Yishan Xu, a licensed clinical psychologist, sleep specialist, and founder and director of the Mind & Body Garden Psychology clinic in San Francisco to let us in on the secrets to better sleep! In this episode she helps us guys understand the top three sleep challenges we face. You just gotta listen in to how these three challenges affect our sleep, performance, and health. We talk about sleep behaviors before, during, and after you go to bed, how they can help or harm our health and well-being, and techniques that helps us get those much-needed Z’s back under control. Dr. Xu also explains the differences we face regarding our sleep and health compared to women. We also chat about shift-work occupations, nighttime eating challenges, and the use of medical devices and various treatment approaches that may enhance our sleep. Oh yeah, and we also chat a good amount about how food, eating patterns, liquids, and you guessed it, how caffeine and alcohol play a role in our sleep and health.
Dr. Xu is a sleep specialist and received her training from Stanford Sleep Medicine Center and serves as a committee member in the Society of Behavioral Sleep Medicine. She describes her approach as a sleep psychologist as that of a gardener. When people come to seek support, they may have too many branches of mental blocks and bushes of stress in their lives that affect their sleep and health. Her team of psychologists, psychiatrists, therapists, and clinicians all work together to help people be more aware of the branches and bushes that impact their quality of life, and then assist them to trim these parts, cope with stress, and live a healthier and happier life. Dr. Xu grew up in China and speaks both Mandarin and English. She strongly advocates for evidence-based treatment approaches to develop a more positive attitude, and to build a life that is happier, more balanced, and more meaningful. Dr. Xu also has her own podcast called Deep Into Sleep, where she gives some great advise and information about enhancing ones sleep. Oh, and the name of my fellow registered dietitian nutritionist researcher that I couldn’t remember her name is Dr. Hollie Raynor, and she’s at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville.
This is one episode you don’t want to miss! And if you like this one, or any of the other interviews, well then continue to tune in to hear all the great expert guests just like Dr. Xu I have coming up on this show. You just won’t want to miss it. For now, remember to head on over to Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, or Google and hit subscribe so you’ll automatically get the latest episodes downloaded right to your device. And when you have a minute, please leave me a review in Apple Podcast, or share my show with a friend.
Lastly, please remember this episode is brought to you by TD Nutrition and Wellness, and I am offering a Free 30 Minute Intuitive Eating Virtual Nutrition Session to the first 10 that register for this great deal. But you have to hurry because this offer only lasts until 8am, Mar 5th, 2020. Hurry up and register today!
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul! I look forward to serving you soon!
- Episode 71: Series – Anti-Diet Approaches to New Year’s Resolutions with Vincci Tsui
- Episode 70: Friday Food Cast – 1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY EPISODE!!!
- Episode 68: Series – Anti-Diet Approaches to New Year’s Resolutions with Erica Mouch
- Episode 67: Who Else Wants to Find Balance Nourishing Their Soul? With Tai Chi Master Gu
- Episode 66: Friday Food Cast – 6 Secrets to Intuitively Steering Through Holiday Food Events
- Episode 65: Build Confidence and Be an Intuitive Eater with Julie Delucca Collins
- Episode 64: Part 2 – The Secret to Healthy…It’s Not About Being Skinny with Guest Tiana Dodson
- Episode 63: Part 1 – The Secret to Healthy…It’s Not About Being Skinny with Guest Tiana Dodson
- Episode 62: How Your Health is Determined By the Professional with Guest Tamara Melton
- Episode 61: Think Your Health is Determined by Only What You Eat? Guest Michelle Gooden Makes Us Think Again