This Friday Food Cast is all about how weight loss articles send the wrong message. We dive into a specific article about how to lose weight with PCOS. This article was reviewed by an intern at TD Wellness, Destiny Gresham. She looked into some of the science research for a few of the points and did a deep dive into how the article’s author came to the conclusions that were made. As David shares her article review he keeps the questions coming looking at the article with a curios eye.
At first glance the helpful tips make sense and are good general suggestions for managing PCOS. The article suggests things like getting plenty of fiber, practice mindful eating, get enough sleep, manage your stress, and exercise to name a few. BUT when you start to read the article it becomes obvious that each point is honed in on losing weight for health, as if losing the weight will directly affect the symptoms of PCOS. Then we discuss the specific research Destiny reviewed and the findings do not speak to the same level or certainty as the article does about weight loss and PCOS. In fact, Destiny’s findings reveal several holes in the articles referenced science.
PCOS is short for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, a hormonal disorder causing enlarged ovaries with small cysts on the outer edges. Symptoms of this disorder include weight gain, menstrual irregularity, excess hair growth, and acne.
Come and join our new One Small Bite Facebook community? Take part in the great conversation and become a member of a community that’s chopping diet culture, asking thought provoking questions about health at every size, and building positive relationships with food.
If you like this episode, then download the show wherever you listen to podcasts Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google and hit that subscribe button so you won’t miss an episode. While you’re there, let me know what nutrition or health topic you’d like me to cover or leave a review.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul!
- Episode 79: How Cannabis and Nutrition Can Help with Guest Laura Lagano
- Episode 78: 4 Key Elements of Unapologetic Eating with Guest Alissa Rumsey
- Episode 77: One Small Self-Reflection Method that Builds Your Inner Compass with Guest Desmond Spann
- Episode 76: Friday Food Cast – How Weight Loss Articles Send the Wrong Messages
- Episode 75: Straight From the Client: How Intuitive Eating Worked for Me with Dr. Wanda Williams
- Episode 74: Series – Anti-Diet Approaches to New Year’s Resolutions with Angie Dye
- Episode 73: Series – Anti-Diet Approaches to New Year’s Resolutions with Lisa Carrigg
- Episode 72: Series – Anti-Diet Approaches to New Year’s Resolutions with Tiffany Thoen
- Episode 71: Series – Anti-Diet Approaches to New Year’s Resolutions with Vincci Tsui
- Episode 70: Friday Food Cast – 1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY EPISODE!!!