This Friday Food Cast is all about how weight loss articles send the wrong message. We dive into a specific article about how to lose weight with PCOS. This article was reviewed by an intern at TD Wellness, Destiny Gresham. She looked into some of the science research for a few of the points and did a deep dive into how the article’s author came to the conclusions that were made. As David shares her article review he keeps the questions coming looking at the article with a curios eye.
At first glance the helpful tips make sense and are good general suggestions for managing PCOS. The article suggests things like getting plenty of fiber, practice mindful eating, get enough sleep, manage your stress, and exercise to name a few. BUT when you start to read the article it becomes obvious that each point is honed in on losing weight for health, as if losing the weight will directly affect the symptoms of PCOS. Then we discuss the specific research Destiny reviewed and the findings do not speak to the same level or certainty as the article does about weight loss and PCOS. In fact, Destiny’s findings reveal several holes in the articles referenced science.
PCOS is short for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, a hormonal disorder causing enlarged ovaries with small cysts on the outer edges. Symptoms of this disorder include weight gain, menstrual irregularity, excess hair growth, and acne.
Come and join our new One Small Bite Facebook community? Take part in the great conversation and become a member of a community that’s chopping diet culture, asking thought provoking questions about health at every size, and building positive relationships with food.
If you like this episode, then download the show wherever you listen to podcasts Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google and hit that subscribe button so you won’t miss an episode. While you’re there, let me know what nutrition or health topic you’d like me to cover or leave a review.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite over time to transform your life, so let’s – Chop the diet mentality; Fuel your body; and Nourish your soul!
- Part 1: The Secret of How Diet Culture Oppresses and Exploits the LatinX Community with Carolina Guízar
- How to Overcome Eating and Body Image Challenges with The Body Joyful Author Anne Poirier
- How Black Women and BIPoC are Further Marginalize by Diet Culture with Whitney Trotter
- How Storytelling Can Transform your Relationship with Your Body with Storyteller Kimberly Dark
- What Everyone Should Know About RED-S, Alcohol, Disordered Eating, and More with Val Schonberg
- Episode 92: How to Combat Chronic Illness with an Anti-Diet, Intuitive Eating Approach
- Episode 91: Reembody Breathing Room App with Kevin Moore and Beck Beverage
- Episode 90: LatinX and Anti-Diet Approaches with Guest Dalina Soto
- Episode 89: Very Low Carbohydrate Diets and No Weight Loss? What’s Going On?
- Episode 88: 8 Red Flags of Weight Loss Research – Solo Episode